Saturday 13 March 2010

Sat the 13th of Mar – Happy Birthday!

Today’s Mom’s Birthday. It’s also the 8th month since Mar’s transplant. My parents and I went out for lunch to celebrate. When Dad poured water into our glasses, I didn’t have the heart to tell him he was partially watering the table cloth as well. That’s what wives are for. Mom didn’t skip a beat and took her wifely duty very seriously: “Thy shall make fun of thy husband whenever possible”. You see (no pun intended), he tired of wearing his sunglasses and so he found a more practical yet infinitely less fashionable solution. He’s back to wearing his “normal” Harry Potter glasses but replaced the left lense with a dark one. I love him but he looks like a total dork.

In the afternoon, Mom and I took turns visiting Mar. I refuse to wear a mouth cap in the hospital room even though it’s required. Wearing it somehow feels like a betrayal. As if I were admitting to Mar being sick. And I don’t think she is. At least not like before. I don’t want her to think she is either. What’s happening is a complication and what ever it is, it WILL pass. I want to believe this and more importantly I want her to.

I am worried though. Mar has no appetite (I think it’s stress related) which means she’s losing weight again. She feels nauseous, has diarrhea and is coughing again. The treatment doesn’t seem to have any visible effect yet and she’s still bloated. What troubles me the most is her frame of mind. She’s often demoralized and is less responsive to my over-exaggerated attempts at cheer leading. Yesterday, I adjusted my strategy and spent most of the evening hugging her (very carefully since the catheters are in the way), rubbing her back, smoothing her hair and holding her hand. This all seemed to soothe her the most.

Anyway, this evening, without the mask, I caught the eye of one of the male nurses, Alessandro. In one breath he asked for my name, place of residence, age and marital status. Impressive…Next time I’ll bring my resume. He must’ve approved because after that, he walked in without the mouth cap saying it wasn’t necessary. Oh goody. We agree then…I smiled sweetly and kept my mouth shut but as soon as he left Mar teased me in a singsongy way: “Somebody fancies you!” Before this stirs any more smart ass remarks from my friends (because frankly who needs enemies), let me make perfectly clear that I’m not interested in men with Mohawks, diamond studded ears and a preference for hip hop music. Also it’s just too weird being hit on while he tends to my sister’s medication. Oh well, let’s not be too harsh on the man. I am after all irresistibly charming…And super modest too!

No comments:

Post a Comment